Case 3: A Simple Solution to A Multi-Year Problem
Production, Quality, Team
A global chemical manufacturing company
Production of particular product line often took longer time, from designed 1 day to up to 3 or 4 days, resulting in lower productivity and higher direct-labor and over-head costs.
The products may need some adjustment during the production process after QC check.
Interview, document review, and process review.
The weighing scale to do the adjustment was located on the 1st floor while the adjustment process took place in the 2nd floor.
Buy a smaller weighing scale to put in the 2nd floor.
- The company implemented the suggestion
- The production process was never delayed again.
- Productivity improved significantly.
Case 4: Cutting Down Production Time from 30 Days to 12 Hours
Team management, control, sales, customer service, collaboration, production
A multi-national manufacturing company
- The production of a particular product line was supposed to take maximum 3 days but in reality it could take up to more than 30 days. This resulted in high number of unsatisfied customers and lower sales volume for the said products.
- It was an innovative product and this long production leadtime has hindred the adaptation of the product in the market.
- The production was done in the old warehouse due to its small volume, because it was an innovative product, the demand wasn’t high yet.
- The product line was a very “sensitive” product that required very-high accuracy along the whole process.
Interview, document audit, and observation.
- Serious delay took place in QC because there was no FIFO system for the batch check and QC staffs were free to just pick easier products to test first and therefore, the ‘sensitive’ products were often pushed to later.
- QC didn’t have a suitable weighing scale that could make the testing and adjusting easier. They have to use the scale in the production room.
- QC manager needs to make weekly report about all products tested based on when the products come and tested and have the report compared to Production Manager’s report.
- Appoint senior staffs to be the ones responsible for this particular product test, as a form of recognition of his seniority.
- Provide a small weighing scale especially for QC department
After all of the suggestions implemented, the production lead-time for the product fell to only 1.5 days or 12 hours. This results in better capability to expand.